Re: Bugs in Soot (fwd)

Hi Philippe.

Philippe Laporte wrote:
> Anybody know if the best (speed, size) byte code generated is through  javac
> then Soot?
> For example, jikes is fast but bad on code generation.

I do not know the answer.  Somebody would need do some empirical study.
But, I wouldn't be surprised at all if such study discovered that:

  Javac + Soot == Jikes + Soot

on the final code size and speed.  Differences between the output of
Javac and Jikes are probably related to how well they use the different
bytecodes and the the stack.  These differences should be mostly
flattened by the transformation to intermediate 3 address
representation.  Finally, Soot's stack optimizer should generate
relatively similar bytecode for a method initially compiled by either
Javac or Jikes.

If you test this, please let us know of your results.

Have fun!

Etienne
Etienne M. Gagnon, M.Sc.                     e-mail: egagnon@j-meg.com
Author of SableVM:                             http://www.sablevm.org/