Soot API Performance Bottleneck

Hello all,

I am trying to use the Soot 1.2.2 API to load and instrument classes on
the fly. However,  I have been constrained from using it in a practical
context by a Soot API performance bottleneck. Running on a 750 Mhz CPU
with 56 MB RAM, it takes over 5 seconds to "create and set the scene":

            Scene scene = Scene.v();

scene.setSootClassPath(System.getProperty("java.class.path"));
            scene.loadClassAndSupport("java.lang.Object");
            scene.loadClassAndSupport("test.Logger");
            scene.loadClassAndSupport("com.rtscinc.util.Assertion");

Also, it takes over 11 seconds to create an instance of a "SootClass":

 SootClass sClass = scene.loadClassAndSupport("com.acme.Foo");

I would like to know if anyone else has encountered this performance
bottleneck as well as any advice on how to overcome it.

Nathan