Re: JDK1.4.0 support?

You may have problems because of the new assertion facility in JDK1.4.0.
   The implementation notes I have seen (*) for this facility say that a
field named $assertionsDisabled is created in every class that uses
assertions.  The field name is nonstandard, that is, it violates the
Java Language Specification; you couldn't create such a field by
compiling Java source code.
I'm not exactly sure why this nonstandard field name would break Soot,
especially because I doubt that you have any assertions in the Ptolemy
II code, but it did come to mind.

(*) I found the implementation notes in a document at
http://java.sun.com/docs/books/jls/assert-spec.html, which appears to be
a final draft of material for the 3rd edition of the Java Language
Specification.  There is no link to the 3rd edition on the page for the
JLS, but you can get to the assertion spec by searching the Java site
for "assertion facility."

--
Nathan Kitchen
kitchen@ee.byu.edu