Re: question about soot

Soot can translate bytecode into a variety of other intermediate formats
that are nicer to read than bytecode.  That may be good if you want to
understand what the program does, but maybe not the right tool for other
purposes.  For example, the other day I was at a web page with an applet
that wouldn't run in Sun's Java plugin because of the obfuscator they had
used on the bytecode.  It was an important applet (I needed to run it in
order to create a user account at school), so I used JavaClass (by Markus
Dahm, Free University of Berlin) to examine the bytecode directly.  I
didn't want to understand the code, I just wanted to find out how the
obfuscator had broken it (garbage local variable tables that referenced
constant_pool[0]).  CFParse from IBM alphaWorks is another good
bytecode tool.  JavaClass and CFParse are similar to the Coffi bytecode
parser that is included with Soot, but they have somewhat more
functionality for just browsing bytecode.  javap, which is included with
most VM's, may also serve your purposes.  It depends what you want to do.