Re: CFG and body dumping options (Was: About revision 1407)

    vranganath> That said, on the more pressing issue of
    vranganath> "dump-XXXX" flags.  What happens when I do not
    vranganath> specify any "--dump-XXXX" options?  I expect none
    vranganath> of the dumps to happen.  However, this is not the
    vranganath> case.  The dumps are attempted when I drive soot
    vranganath> from an application.  This is something a user
    vranganath> (I) does not expect or desire, especially for
    vranganath> debug outputs.  Instead, it is usual for none or
    vranganath> minimal options to be turned on in a library code
    vranganath> and expecting the user to turn on the rest
    vranganath> depending on his/her needs.

Sigh, another thing that didn't occur to me. While I've
never actually tried to call soot from an application, looking at
generated/options/soot/options/Options.java, I would have thought
that the list of dumped phases would be empty unless it was set
by a call to soot.options.set_dump_body() or
soot.options.set_dump_cfg.

I'm unlikely to figure this out without more details about how
you're invoking soot.  But I suggest we address your next
difficulty first though (just in case the first
difficulty solves itself as a side-effect):

    vranganath> While on this issue, the build file balks with a
    vranganath> duplicate class error as the Options java files
    vranganath> exist in both generated and soot
    vranganath> directories. Interesting, these files differ
    vranganath> considerably. After some searching it seems the
    vranganath> ones in generated directory are more recent than
    vranganath> those in soot directory.  I am assuming that
    vranganath> options are generated on the fly.  If so, why do
    vranganath> the same options java file exist in soot
    vranganath> directory?  I had to copy the generated files
    vranganath> over the soot files and modify build.xml to get
    vranganath> soot to compile.

There are no duplicate files between src/soot/options/ and
generated/options/soot/options/ in the current trunk.  I wonder
if perhaps you have some files leftover from an earlier release
of soot in your copy of the soot source.  I'd suggest running

  svn checkout http://svn.sable.mcgill.ca/soot/soot/trunk

in an empty directory, and there rebuilding from a clean copy, to
see if that makes the problem go away (admittedly if you have a
lot of your own changes to Soot to incorporate, starting from a
clean copy won't be so simple).