Re: is it wise to provide hooks to customize ExceptionalUnitGraph's constructors?

Hi John...

In general, I try to discourage placing a lot of code in the constructor
or in methods called from the constructor (although this is a common
practice in Soot), because of the various restrictions on constructors.
These include the overriding restriction that you noted, as well as the
fact that a constructor cannot signal a failure because it returns
nothing. Doing lots in the constructor can also be the source of subtle
bugs. For example, if the superclass constructor calls method foo()
and a subclass overrides foo(), then foo() will be called before the
subclass constructor has finished, and the class invariant may not have
been established yet.

My advice is this: the constructor should establish the class invariant,
and nothing else. The class invariant should be chosen to be simple
enough that it can be established in the constructor.

Your solution of having a protected constructor which calls initialize()
solves the problem you're having, but not all of the problems with doing
lots in the constructor. It's probably OK, but in general, I think it's
preferable to not call initialize() in the constructor, and call it at
the construction site instead. The common objection to this is that
people don't want to have to call initialize() all the time after
constructing the object. The object oriented (tm) answer to this
objection is to make the constructor accessible only to a suitable
factory method which calls initialize() for you.

When the amount of work to be done to build the thing is substantial, my
personal preference is to split up the builder and the container into
separate classes, so that one may subclass one without the other (see,
for example, the CallGraph and CallGraphBuilder). I don't know that I
can provide much justification for this; it's just personal preference.

Ondrej