RE: Line numbers

Is the variable table in 1.2.3 as well?
How would the line table look like after optimisation?

I am trying to find more information about the practical usage of the line
table and variable table. However all I could find is two pages in the JVM
Specification. The JVM specification mentioned the possibility of having a
n-1 mapping between line table entries and a source line (some of Soot
optimisation could well result in this). However I have never seen this in a
real class file, and I wonder how the debuggers would behave. I would
appreciate if you could point me to information/documentation on this topic.

Regards.
Stephen