Re: Soot 1.3

On Sun, Nov 17, 2002 at 04:02:30PM +1300, Stephen Cheng wrote:
> I am also a little bit worried about the loss of expertise in the Soot
> group. It would appear that the guy developing type inference engine has
> left the group, with TI being a rather complex subsystem, it would be be
> difficult to fix some of the bugs left in it. Is anyone going to take over
> that role?

I am still here.  I've been busy writing a Ph.D. thesis, and starting
an academic carreer at UQAM (just a few minutes away from the Sable
lab).  As far as I know, there is only one very obscure little bug
known in the type inference engine, which results in a thrown
exception (not an invalid assignment of types).  This bug does only
happen in some contrived example, not in common bytecode.  Because of
the low priority of this bug, relative to my Ph.D. research, I have
postponed looking at it until I have some time.

In conclusion, as far as the type inference engine is concerned, it
would seem that no expertise has been lost.

Have fun!

Etienne

--
Etienne M. Gagnon                    http://www.info.uqam.ca/~egagnon/