Re: Scene rebuild

On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 08:07:10PM -0500, Manoj Plakal wrote:

> Right, I can individually rebuild
> stuff that I know will be affected
> by my changes. Which is what
> I am doing now. But perhaps the
> "inter-stuff" dependencies could
> be made a bit more explicit.
>
> So I have two questions:
>   - What stuff needs to be rebuilt?
>       - depends on what I'm changing.
>         Fine, I can decide that and
>         manually call Soot phases
>         to rebuild their information.
>
>   - Are there dependences between the
>     various kinds of stuff? Is there magic
>     inside Soot to invalidate information
>     when dependent objects are changed?
>     E.g., does the hierarchy get invalidated
>     when classes are added or removed?
>
> The latter question is a bit harder for
> me to answer, it depends on what Soot
> does internally. This will also be an issue for
> anyone who is writing a whole-program transformation
> phase, or composing multiple whole-program
> transformation phases. Each such phase
> will have to be preceded by code that
> ensures that the Scene structures are
> consistent.
>
> As a concrete suggestion, I would suggest
> adding some sort of 'requirements' or
> dependence information in Soot phases
> that compute persistent information.
> Updates of dependent information should
> trigger an invalidation of objects
> that use that information. E.g., the
> hierarchy is automatically invalidated
> whenever classes are added or removed,
> or if the inherits relation is changed.
> And perhaps, objects can then automatically
> rebuild themselves when they are accessed
> in an invalid state.

This sounds like it would be nice, but might be very difficult to design
and implement (possibly a research topic?). All the method bodies depend
on the hierarchy (because of the typing algorithm). Do you want to
re-jimplify everything whenever you add a class or otherwise change the
hierarchy? The pointer analysis can be affected by adding or removing
just about any statement. Detecting whether a statement affects it
or not is non-trivial. Removing a single call would mean having to
recompute the set of reachable methods, and the call graph from scratch.
Depending on the settings, there may be a circular dependence between
the points-to analysis and the call graph.

So far, we've done the following: the analyses give you information
about the original code. If you only do semantics-preserving
transformations (for some loose deifinition of semantics-preserving),
the analyses should not have to change. If you do something that might
change them in a way that would affect other phases, it's up to you to
update them, either incrementally, or by rebuilding them. For example,
the method inliner has always incrementally updated the call graph.
If you're doing non-semantics-preserving transformations, such as using
Soot to add code for instrumenting, then do you really want the
information to reflect the code you've added so far, or the original
code?

Anyway, the dependences I know of are the following:

hierarchy depends on set of classes and subclass relationships, loaded
with loadClassAndSupport

bodies depend on hierarchy

call graph, reachable methods, and points-to analysis depend on bodies,
hierarchy, and interdepend on each other

side-effect analysis depends on call graph and points-to analysis

Ondrej