RE: Points-To-Analysis and BCEL (Byte Code Engineering Library)

Hi!

> I was hoping to use the spark tool to generate point-to-analysis
> results based on which I would use BCEL to do the actual
> instrumentation.
>
> Is this doable?
AFAIK BCEL and SOOT do actually a similar job: They transform bytecode to a
better readable and processable representation, allow operations on that
representation and allow writing back the results to bytecode. (SOOT even
has multiple different of such representations but that's not the matter)

The problem however I see here is that the representation generated by SOOT
and the BCEL one are entirely different. Thus one would have to write some
kind of adapter, which is generally doable but would be a hard job since one
would have to write such adaptors for several classes. IMHO having a look at
how the PTA is implemented in SOOT and reimplementing that on BCEL would be
an easier and more suitable approach.

Eric Bodden
RWTH Aachen University
ICQ UIN: 12656220