RE: Points-To-Analysis and BCEL (Byte Code Engineering Library)

On Thu, 5 Feb 2004, Eric Bodden wrote:

> > I was hoping to use the spark tool to generate point-to-analysis
> > results based on which I would use BCEL to do the actual
> > instrumentation.
> >
> > Is this doable?
> AFAIK BCEL and SOOT do actually a similar job: They transform bytecode to a
> better readable and processable representation, allow operations on that
> representation and allow writing back the results to bytecode. (SOOT even
> has multiple different of such representations but that's not the matter)

It's not clear to me why one would want to use BCEL to do instrumentation
if already using points-to analysis implemented in Soot; Soot already
provides all the APIs you need to arbitrarily manipulate your bytecode, so
that you don't need BCEL.  Just use Soot.

pat