Re: Where's jasmin-sable license?

Grzegorz B. Prokopski <gadek@debian.org> wrote:
> And here's probably the problem. The *right* package, at least for my
> purpose is the SOURCE one. But if you fetch:
> http://www.sable.mcgill.ca/software/jasmin-sable-1.2.tar.gz
> I bet you won't find ANY of these informations. No note that you've
> just cited, no license file, no README or changes.

The packages are identical and both have the same contents including
the README and license.html.

The only difference is the compression/archival format.  The .jar
format is simply convenient for people who already have the Java
development platform but not necessarily Unix tools such as tar and
gzip.

> Logically - shouldn't the .jar, binary package be built from source
> package? So unless there's some process that allows for generation of
> the above notice, license file, changes and README ;-) it seems that
> the source package is missing some important bits. [*]

See http://www.sable.mcgill.ca/software/#soot for all the packages you
could need including binary only .jar files...

> [*] Is there a Subversion repository of jasmin-sable somewhere?
> I checked out soot last release tree but I couldn't find anything
> remotely looking like source for jasmin, jas and cup.

No, as far as I know jasmin-sable hasn't really been undergoing active
development (although a bug is fixed from time to time) and so hasn't
been imported into Subversion.  It is however under PRCS, which is
accessible internally.

Cheers,
Navin.